Saturday, September 8, 2012

Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

The Goddess Test (Goddess Test #1)
by Aimee Carter
Published: April 19, 2011
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Paperback, 293 pages

EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN. 

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she suceeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS... --Goodreads

3.5 Stars
Review:

I really like the cover of this book. It doesn't look as cool above, but once you physically have the book, the details on the cover are stunning. 

One of the reasons I wanted read this book was that I love Greek mythology. The Goddess Test puts it's own spin on the tale of Hades and Persephone. One thing that really surprised me about the book was that Hades(aka Henry) was a nice person. I always imagined the god of the Underworld to be mean and evil, partly because he is the god of the Underworld and partly because of the Disney movie, Hercules, which by the way was an excellent movie! Even though Henry was nice, he also annoyed me a lot because he was also sad, mopey, probably because he indirectly killed a bunch of girls trying to marry them, but still he was a giant black cloud in the whole entire book. Every time I read a Henry-part I would get sad because he pities himself so much and is mostly sulking. 

Ok, so this scene was really funny, even though I don't think it was suppose to be funny. *I'm trying not to spoil anything, so this scene will be vaguely described, but if I do spoil a little bit, I'm SO SORRY! ahhh...* The scene with Ava and Kate at the tiny river in the beginning of the book, was, I think, suppose to be one of those "ahh omg this can't be happening!" kind of scene, but as I read it, I started to laugh...(This book is fiction, and not real, so it wasn't like I was laughing at death because death is NOT funny. It was just how this scene was described...)

At times, Kate was a boring character, but sometimes she was interesting. Kate always did what people told her to do, I don't know if it's because she had to take care of her mom for so long and was use to following directions, but this kind of bugged me about Kate. 

The tests Kate was suppose to pass were seven tests on the Seven Deadly Sins, wrath, greed, sloth, pride,  lust, envy, and gluttony. This idea was interesting, but the test in reality in the book, were kind of stupid. Also, why would Greek gods/goddess care about the Seven Deadly Sins? 


Purchase this novel: Amazon / Barnes&Nobles / The Book Depository

4 comments:

  1. Greek Mythology is really interesting.
    I haven't read this book yet. It's been on my TBR shelf for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, the Greek Mythology part that is:)

      If you get a chance you should read it. It was ok for the most part:)

      -Jenny@YA Novelties

      Delete
  2. Oh no, it's too bad that scene didn't work for you. Or Hades. But I'm with you on loving Greek Mythology in my novels. Have you read Darkness Becomes her by Kelly Keaton? SO GOOD! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have not! I will check that out as soon as I can! Thank you for the book suggestion!

      -Jenny@YA Novelties

      Delete

Please share your thoughts! We really appreciate your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...