Thursday, September 6, 2012

Review: Flying Blind by Deborah Cooke

By Deborah Cooke
Published June 7, 2011 by New American Library 
Paperback, 308 pages


Zoë Sorensson is perfectly normal, except she's been told she's destined for great things. Zoë's the one female dragon shapeshifter of her kind. But Zoë is at the bottom of the class when it comes to being Pyr and her powers are AWOL, so she's sent to a Pyr boot camp.

Zoë quickly realizes that she has to master her powers yesterday, because the Pyr are in danger and boot camp is a trap. The Mages want to eliminate all shifters and the Pyr are next in line-unless Zoë and her friends can work together and save their own kind.--GoodReads





4 Stars




Review

OK, to be honest, this isn't really a new book. I feel a bit guilty because this book was, in fact, published a little over a year ago. I don't know if many of you have read this book yet, but I will review this anyway. Who wouldn't wanna read a book about kick-ass dragons-people and cute boys on motorbikes??? Hey, and not to mention, the female POV is the only female dragon at the moment, and just happens to have a few good lookin' dragon dudes hangin' around. Do I smell a reverse harem coming up?

Well, unfortunately, this book is not a harem. Yes, yes, moan and groan all you want to, but we gotta keep this review rated Young Adult, not some R rated books. Though this is a book that's 20% dedicated to romance, it's nothing HEAVY or dramatic. Hmm. If I were to split this book based on it's genre, it would have to be.....

30% Fantasy 
30% Action
20% Romance
10% Comedy
5% Drama
3% Cute Boys
2% Awesome

All in all, it was a pretty fun book to read. Nothing dark or sinister. While this book is definitely aimed more towards the younger of the YA crowds, really anyone will come to enjoy this tale. It's pretty funny, but when it does get serious, it gets serious. The seriousness is usually about common romance/relationship issues/pains and whatnot. *Spoiler* So, if you can't stand it when the main character is hopelessly in an unrequited love relationship, you'll hate this book. If you wanna read the spoiler, you'll have to highlight the words with your cursor. Or just have really good eyesight. Ok. There. I said it.

I liked Zoë because she really developed over this book. In the beginning, as readers will soon find out, she can't really control her dragon shape-shifting powers at all. As the book progresses, Zoë soon gains control, and matures, not only physically, but also mentally. Plus, she ain't a chick afraid to kick some macho-macho guy's butt when neccessary. 

When I read Flying Blind, I really couldn't stop until I finished it. I can't really remember a time in that book where I actually wanted to put it down. I think I read it from cover to cover in one sitting, actually. Deborah Cooke does a great job in keeping readers hooked. 

One thing that did bother me was that it was a bit cliché/CHEESY. Like swiss cheesy. Maybe even a little bit of cheddar. Here's a quote from the beginning of the novel... 

There was a guy in my bedroom.
It was six in the morning and I didn’t know him. I’m not much of a morning person, but that woke me up fast.
I sat up and stared, my back pressed against the wall, sure my eyes had to be deceiving me. No matter how      much I blinked, though, he was still there.
He seemed to think my reaction was funny.
He had dark hair and dark eyes, and he wasn’t wearing a shirt, just jeans—and he had one heck of a six-pack. His arms were folded across his chest and a smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. 
(Deborah 1).

OK! DO NOT BE ALARMED! THIS BOOK IS NOT REALLY THAT HORRIBLE. Dear goodness, the beginning of this book is SOOOOOOO cheesy, I wouldn't be surprised if people dropped it from there. But trust me, it gets better people! Have faith!!! Trust in me! (I think everyone needs a little cheesy in their life. Why not now?)

Oh yeah. One more thing before I leave. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this but, I thought the title and book cover really didn't match the over message of the story to me. I feel like it should've been more fun. Zoë looks much too serious in that picture than I feel like she ever actually is in the book.



I liked this cover a lot better, but maybe that's just me:
I MEAN, at least she's somewhat smiling in this picture!
Well, whatever. I enjoyed the book, and I'm sure all the dragon-shape-shifter-kick-butt-heroine lovers out there will too.



Purchase Flying Blind at: AmazonBarnes&NobleThe Book Depository




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts! We really appreciate your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...