Saturday, November 10, 2012

Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

by Huntley Fitzpatrick
Published: June 14th 2012 
Publisher: Dial Books For Young Readers
Hardcover, 395 pages

A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another

“One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.--Goodreads

4.5 Stars
Review:
This book was amazing!

At first it started out really slow and to me it kind of felt like a Sarah Dessen novel (except My Life Next Door had a lot of cursing) where in the beginning there is about half a book of build-up before it gets good. But once I got to the middle of the book, it was really good! (ahh sorry I can't find words to describe the awesomeness that is this book!)

There are a lot of issues brought up in this novel. Sometimes when too many issues are presented it doesn't work and it just seems like the author is trying way to hard to set his or her contemporary novel apart from other contemporary novels, but Fitzpatrick did a really awesome job at presenting all the issues in My Life Next Door. The problems ranging from absent parent to substance abusive teen to cheating (school-wise) to possessive boyfriend.

You guys know how I usually love the best friend in the novels I read? Well I hated (emphasize on hate) Nan. She was so self-centered and overly jealous (all the time) of Sam and she couldn't be happy for her friend! Nan was just such an awful friend and character. 

Another character I did not like: Clay, the scum-bag boyfriend of Sam's mom. He was seriously showing signs of abusive boyfriend with the way he ordered Sam and her mom around, ugh did not like him at all. In all honesty, reading the parts with him made me cringe...

Jase has 7 other siblings, but my favorite sibling by far was George. George is four years old and he provides the novel with such cute and comical lines! Plus his oversensitiveness was adorable and funny. :)

I really liked how Sam and Jase's relationship progress. Sometimes when reading contemp novels, the main characters seem as if they are forced into a relationship, but not this novel!

Also how the novel ended was amazing. In my opinion the novel ended on a bitter-sweet note. The problems that occurred were still there, but they're getting through them, like real life.


Purchase this book at: Amazon / B&N / TBD

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I've heard a lot of good things about this book. You stated it perfectly. A lot of contemporary novels feel like they're trying too hard to fit in as much drama as possible to stand out, but usually it just makes the books drag or leaves too many unresolved problems. Glad to hear that this isn't like those books!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the novel is contemp, so a lot of the problems aren't "new" problems they have been in many many other contemp novels, but My Life Next Door puts its own spin on it! :) I can't believe this is a debut novel!

      -Jenny@YAN

      Delete
  2. I don't mind a slow start, as long as it builds toward a great story and I believe she does! George sounds cute! I can't wait to try this book, great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! A lot of my favorite books have slow starts :)

      -Jenny@YAN

      Delete

Please share your thoughts! We really appreciate your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...