Sunday, November 4, 2012

Review: The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson

The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns #2)
By Rae Carson
Published Spetember 18th, 2012
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Hardcover, 410 pages

In the sequel to the acclaimed The Girl of Fire and Thorns, a seventeen-year-old princess turned war queen faces sorcery, adventure, untold power, and romance as she fulfills her epic destiny. 

Elisa is the hero of her country. She led her people to victory against a terrifying enemy, and now she is their queen. But she is only seventeen years old. Her rivals may have simply retreated, choosing stealth over battle. And no one within her court trusts her-except Hector, the commander of the royal guard, and her companions. As the country begins to crumble beneath her and her enemies emerge from the shadows, Elisa will take another journey. With a one-eyed warrior, a loyal friend, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with, Elisa crosses the ocean in search of the perilous, uncharted, and mythical source of the Godstone's power. That is not all she finds. A breathtaking, romantic, and dangerous second volume in the Fire and Thorns trilogy. - Goodreads


Review
I'm so Happy! I was dying after I read The Girl of Fire and Thorns, I couldn't wait for the sequel, and now I have finally read The Crown of Embers! Let's just say, I'm not disappointed. 

Elisa did so much  in The Girl of Fire and Thorns (she rescued her country after all and suffered many losses), but she just keeps on going, which I find very impressive. I don't think that I could of been that strong to continue on. What I love about Elisa is how she's a fighter, someone who doesn't give up, and is very mature. She will sacrifice everything and anything for the good of her people, who actually only recently became her subjects. Although Elisa saved her country and is queen, there are still many doubts about her in her court. There are only a few who she can really trust. She has to fight to get anything done her way, and isn't treated like a queen, more like a young and inexperienced teenager. That is vexing to anyone, but Elisa handles it very well. In order to become a better and more powerful ruler, Elisa has to follow the trail of a myth on a very dangerous path towards a place that only few can find.

I absolutely love Hector. He is trustworthy, courageous, smart, and just amazing. I could go on, but I will stop. Elisa and Hector are perfect for each other. The only annoying thing was their first kiss, it was just at a godawful time. I won't say anything more, but I dearly hope that no one else's first kiss with someone they are in love with is in a place like that. I was like awwww at their kiss, but ewwww at the same time. 

I think that it is great that there is a gay character in this book. I didn't see it coming, and it makes sense with the plot. Most books I read don't have a gay character in them, and I think that it is because those authors just don't know what to do with them and shy away from those types of characters, but in The Crown of Embers, Carson just works it. There is also mention of a form of birth control, and I believe that the fact that Carson is writing about it really reflects the world around us today. Although the whole godstone thing centers heavily around God and religion, it is just mentioned so much that you get used to it. If you want to, you can practically ignore it. Also, the ending was the best. It connected many things and made impossible dreams possible. 

I loved it and can't wait for the next, AND LAST, book in the series. I hope everything works out, especially with Elisa and Hector. For anyone reading this review who hasn't read the first book in the series, The Girl of Fire and Thorns, you have to read it first before reading this book. Happy reading.
Purchase this book at: Amazon / Barnes and Noble / The Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts! We really appreciate your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...