Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux #1) 
By Jennifer L. Armentrout 
Published: May 8, 2012 
Publisher: Entangled Teen 
Paperback, 335 Pages 

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is. --Goodreads



5 Stars

Review 

I love the Covenant series, aka Jennifer L Armentrout's awesome Half-Blood series, so I thought to myself "There is no way I'll dislike Obsidian" and I was right I loved Obsidian just like I loved Half-Blood. 

If you haven't noticed, there is a lot of hype about Obsidian and the sequel to it, Onyx. Maybe it's because it's that great of a series or because there was a tour for the series or because the trailer for Onyx just came out, either way there is a lot of hype over this series and after reading it myself I totally understand why. Now I'll start my gushing review of this book... 

Katy is just pure awesomeness! Katy is a book blogger, how awesome is that? That one detail alone should make her an awesome protagonist right? Katy also has a good head on her shoulders. If a guy is attractive, but is a jerk, just because he has good looks doesn't mean you should look the other way of his jerkiness; he is still a jerk. Now Katy know this, which is great because many times in YA books the female protagonist looks the other way on a guy's jerkiness if he's attractive. She also calls him out on his jerkiness, so more points for Katy! I like when a character is funny and sarcastic, lucky for me Katy was both. 

Daemon is...Daemon is Daemon, let's just say. He's extremely rude to Katy in the beginning, but eventually he gets a bit nicer, but he is still a jerk to her, but he sort of has a good reason. He and his sister are aliens and so are their friends, but Daemon is the strongest of all of them, so he must protect them and their secret. In order to protect the secret, they can't get close to humans. This obviously fails because Katy gets into trouble and Daemon used his alien powers to save her from being crushed by a truck. How do you explain away stopping a two/three ton truck, you can't, so that is when Katy finds out that he's an alien. 

I really enjoyed reading about the alien aspect of this book. It's not what one would typically imagine aliens to be like. I honestly loved that they had cool powers, such as shape shifting or stoping time. So what is the problem the characters have to face? The characters have to face the Arums, the evil aliens who do not have the powers Daemon and his alien friends have, so they want to drain them of their powers. The Arums made the book have more action and be more thrilling. If you have ever read Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout, the Arums are like the evil daimons.

Overall, Obsidian was a great book and I can't wait to read Onyx!


Purchase this book: Amazon / Barnes&Noble / The Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts! We really appreciate your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...